Truly objective perception isn’t just difficult, it’s nearly impossible. That means everyday, despite your best efforts, people will interpret your actions, words, and behaviors differently than you intended.
It’s the same reason why there are Michelin star restaurants certain people love and others hate; nobel prize winners some revere and others think are a hack.
While we can’t control people’s perceptions, the more we understand them, the more we can influence them…
Today’s episode is all about acknowledging and appreciating the multitude of factors that affect perception so we can bridge the gap with our communication and work to prevent unnecessary misunderstandings.
- The 8+ variables affecting perception & how to identify them
- The ONLY tool that can help bridge a perceptual gap
- The Better Than Average Effect + Theory of Mind: why they matter
- Two ESSENTIAL questions to ask when you’ve been misunderstood
As mentioned in this episode, if you’re looking for more reading on perception, check out this previously redacted article: Mokusatsu: One Word, Two Meanings.
And If you’ve made it this far, let’s give a huge shoutout to our incredible sponsors and upcoming events!
- Dynamic Fitness & Strength is our premier sponsor and go-to supplier of strength equipment. Not only do they have custom options, the fastest turnaround times and most affordable packages, they waste the least amount of material of any equipment company out there. Reach out to them at Mydynamicfitness.com and tell them the AoC team sent you!
- To support our other sponsors- Momentous, VersaClimber, LMNT, SAGA, & Ice Barrel check out their unique offers for the AoC community at artofcoaching.com/partners.
As for what we have coming up!
Brand Builder Workshop – If you’ve ever wanted to create something of your own, or have ever thought: “How can I help more people?”- this 2 day workshop is for you. Your brand isn’t about selling something, it’s about refining how you relate to others.
Speaker School – We all know public speaking is one the biggest fears people have; “What would I talk about?” “What if people don’t care?”, “How do I select my approach?” Let us give you confidence, clarity and a community of other people who can help you figure this out.
If you’re ready to get guidance and you want practice speaking so you can be seen as a subject matter expert in your space, or just better at pitching your ideas, check out artofcoaching.com/speaker for dates and info!
Did you enjoy the show?
Your support ensures the best quality guests and listening experience.