These days it can feel like we’re being beaten over the head with leadership cliches like “grind in silence,” “be seen not heard” and other preachy rhetoric about servitude…
We’ve been told that good work will speak for itself and that self-promoters aren’t in it for the “right reasons”…
But how do we reconcile these “leadership laws” with the understanding that in order to adapt and evolve we have to be vulnerable and put ourselves (and our work) out there?
In truth- like anything, excessive modesty can be a hindrance. Today’s episode is all about what happens when humility goes too far. Specifically- why not speaking or standing up for yourself can lead to lower self-esteem, career/personal stagnation and poor quality work.
If you want to dive deeper into this topic, check out these other episodes:
- E93: The Sin of Self-Promotion
- E56: The Weaponization of Guilt & Not Being a Sucker
- E137: Greg Adamson: Downfalls of Servant-Based Leadership
- Momentous offers the best supplement line-up out there. Just like our podcast is for all leaders, their products (which range from grass fed whey to natural brain/sleep aids) are for everyone. Get 15% off with code Brett15
- SAGA offers affordable and state of the art BFR (blood flow restriction) cuffs to keep you healthy and strong no matter your lifestyle. Brett20 gets you 20% off your order!
- VersaClimber is still one of my favorite tools for fitness. Simply put, their equipment will always be a staple in my home gym and in my programming.
Finally, if you’re looking for a complete toolkit on how to:
- Overcome self-limiting behaviors and beliefs
- Identify and clarity your unique offering
- Connect with and cultivate your audience
- Turn superpowers into tangible value
- Test and tweak your live product
- Build a values-based brand
Check out our newest online course Blindspot. It’s not open right now, but make sure to get on the list so you’re the first to know when it is!
Did you enjoy the show?
Your support ensures the best quality guests and listening experience.