On Episode 9 of the Art of Coaching Podcast, I sit down with a guy who has one of the best jobs in all of strength & conditioning. Matt Bertsch is the Performance Director for Lincoln Public Schools in Lincoln Nebraska where he overseas the strength and conditioning for 6 area high schools and more than 3,500 athletes.
Too often, coaches chase big name jobs whole overlooking other opportunities for growth. My hope in bringing Matt on is that I can help us as a profession quit overlooking high-school strength & conditioning and potentially get some people to open their minds to other jobs out there.
If you like this episode, or want to learn more from Matt make sure to follow him on Twitter @matt_bertsch. Also make sure you let us know what you think of the podcast via an iTunes review!
Topics covered on the show
- Matt’s Story
- Moving from the floor to administration
- Getting buy in as administrator
- How to get your resume viewed
- How to properly use video
- Preparing for an interview: going beyond wearing a suit and showing up
- What are you weakest in now and what are you going to do about it
- Things Matt learned from Coach Venable
- How does Matt defines who is a good coach
Links from the show
To join Matt’s network of High School strength coaches follow @matt_bertsch @coachvenable & @coachbrokaw on Twitter
Coach, this was probably one of my favorite podcasts so far. I am not currently looking for a job, however it gave me confidence to seek out more experiences regardless of the type of position. Sure I have a vision of what my dream job is, but I never underestimate the importance of taking opportunities as they come.